For those of you who are not familiar with the One Room Challenge, this is the 12th season where design bloggers across the world design & implement a makeover for one room in just six weeks!
As I mentioned on Sunday, I live in a studio apartment, and it definitely does not look like an interior designer lives here. I've been here for 3 years and I have been shuffling around old furniture pieces amongst pretty blank walls.
I’m using this challenge to push myself to finally design and implement a space that reflects my style, on a budget, and using what I have. Last year, my dad gifted me a striped sofa that he found for $30! (I get my thrift store skills from him.) It's the perfect scale for my space, and super comfy, so I don't want to let it go! I thought about reupholstering it for this challenge, but then I thought it would be awesome to use it as a base for a fun mix of patterns. When I saw this image of a room designed by Anna Spiro, it was confirmation that the stripes would become my "living room" focal point.
My personal design style tends to be more eclectic with a touch of glam, so I am going to add layers of patten and texture to the solid foundation pieces that I already have. A few function things that I want to accomplish during this challenge are:
- Create a separation from my "bedroom" and living spaces
- Block as much light/sound as possible at night! I live on a busy street with traffic and streetlights.
- Hide my tv, but also make it accessible from anywhere in the studio.
As for the look and feel of my studio:
- Dress up the walls! I'm going to add paint & more.
- Add more ambient lighting. I hate to use my overhead fan/light combo at night, so I need more options.
- Display more of my photos & artwork!
I cannot wait to share the full plan next week! Make sure you check out the other participants and featured designers by clicking here. You can also see updates on Instagram at #oneroomchallenge. I'll be updating you every Wednesday for the next 6 weeks on my progress! Stay tuned. :)
Interior Designer living & loving in Raleigh, NC.